Requirements for Shipping Human Remains
The Government of Ethiopia depends upon Ethiopian Airlines to set the regulations for the transport of human remains. Ethiopian Airlines requires the following documentation to fly human remains to Ethiopia.
- Original and a Copy of Death Certificate AUTHENTICATED by Secretary of State from the State where the deceased was a resident.
- Original and a Copy of letter from the funeral home showing:-
- Embalming or preserving the (dead) body by standard U.S. methods
- Use of a hermetically sealed casket
- Original and a Copy of Non-contagious disease letters issued by the local health authority and/or Department of Health
- Original and a copy of Burial Permit
- A copy of the deceased passport
If all of the requirements listed above are met, the Consulate will issue the permit for the shipment of the body within an hour.
If you are mailing your documents to the Consulate, please include a self-addressed envelope with sufficient pre-paid return postage.
Note that there is no fee associated with this service.